Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Seven Year Old Classmate

I never imagine I am going back to grade 2 all over again. Ever since I quit my job to be a full time mother to my seven year old son, I never really expected how challenging this would be to me. I decided to transfer my son to a school nearer to our house for it's many advantages. No need to pay for the school service, my son will be more relaxed as he will not wake up that early to be picked up first by his school service, and lastly his school now is the same school i used to go to in my elementary and high school days. It was twenty three years ago and it's amazing i have met again some of my teachers who are still working there. Some still teach there but others are holding high positions now. I was not that popular during my school years there but I would say I have established a good reputation and relationship with my teachers. So it's like going back home for me, but it's not the same for my son. Since he is a transferee, he is experiencing major adjustments like having new teachers, new classmates, no friends, new rules, new everything.
And so , I have to help him by guiding him in this process. Everyday I play the role of his "old" classmate just to help him overcome the anxiety he feels in school. One time, he just told me he doesn't want to go to school anymore, he said he have just one friend there and nobody really like him even his teachers. He said he can't see any support from the teachers and they let him write and write the whole time and even though he hasn't finished copying what was written on the board, the teacher care no less and erase everything on the board. I really feel for my son when he was saying it all. And so I tried my best to psyche him and encourage him some more. I made him feel that he is not really alone, that I will always be there for him to help him and listen to him. Everyday, we do the home works, projects and review lessons at home. I would say that children now adays don't have time to enjoy because of the pressures in school. I hope that I can be a reliable classmate of my son until he finally become adjusted as the new kid in his class and I hope that one day he will tell me he found his second home ...in his new school.

No comments: